Sunday, December 03, 2006

You remind me of a pimple I once had on my forehead

With the exception of my baby daddy, when I listen to music I usually ignore the lyrics and focus on the music itself. I do this because 90% of the time the lyrics really suck and once I know them, I stop liking the song. Case in point, "A Dozen Roses" by Monica. Initially I liked this song, partly because I had no idea what she was saying and the music was catchy. I kept hearing a reference to Gucci shoes, so of course I was compelled to take a closer listen and hear exactly what she was talking about. Here is a sampling...

Boy you remind me, remind me of my Gucci shoes
Everytime you walk past, all the girls be looking at you
You got style just like a Bentley coupe
And I be losing my mind everytime I get next to you...

Boy you remind me of 26s on my ride
Complete spinning around looking like a superstar...

Like the ice on my wrist, its like kick on my hip
MAC on my lips, Armor Oil on my whip, butter on my shrimp...

Baby you always stay on my mind
You're just like my rims, you shine...

Keep a money clip you remind me of a tip
Like a pair of jeans from Abercrombie when they rip...


WTF?

Maybe I'm old fashion, maybe I'm sedity, or maybe I'm a bit of both; but if someone I loved told me that I'm like a pair of jeans from Abercrombie when they rip, or like butter on his shrimp, excuse me for being a tad bit offended! Are these what love songs are these days, being compared to lip gloss and car wax? Give me a break! I fully admit that when R. Kelly came out with "You Remind Me of My Jeep", I played that song until it couldn't be played anymore. It was original, it was risque, it was hilarious. But seriously, this mess has got to stop. What's next? Comparing your boyfriend to the creamy sauce on your noodles? Or maybe telling your girl your love for her is as strong as the boil in your armpit? Someone needs to tell these losers to stop writing songs because the ish has gotten out of hand!

No comments: