Friday, October 06, 2006

Come on girl, don't you wanna wash my clothes?

Last night I called an old friend of mine just as he was picking up his laundry. I teased him and called him a lazy bastard because certain things like doing your laundry, you really should be doing yourself. I thought he dropped them off at a laundromat and left them in the hands of a professional, but that wasn’t the case. He actually has his laundry done by “some girl.” Now when I say “some girl”, I’m not referring to his wife, his girlfriend, his mom, or any other woman that plays a significant role in his life. The woman I’m referring to really is just “some girl.” He said he used to “mess with her” back in the day (i.e. they slept together on occasion but things didn’t work out) and now she just does his laundry.

According to him, one day he playfully made a joke and said “hey, you should do my laundry!” but it was really meant in the spirit of good ol' wholesome fun; because when you think of good ol' wholesome fun, you think about asking people to do your laundry. The next day he came home from work and found that all his dirty clothes were gone, with a note on his hamper saying that she took his clothes to wash them. Fast forward two years later and this chick is still doing his laundry.

Now after hearing this story, I initially wanted to call this girl a dumb bitch and berate her in every way that I could think of, but I’m not going to do that. I actually want to befriend this girl because I like living in beautiful surroundings. When I move into my apartment, I’m going to need my floors refinished, a fresh coat of paint on the walls, a couple of chandeliers hung, shelving assembled, and someone to rub my tummy at night and encourage me to make this world a better place. Who better to do all these things but “some girl”?

My friend raised a very interesting point; you would be surprised at what people will actually do if you just ask them. It’s easy to say he’s lazy or a chauvinist, but maybe he’s just a smart guy that knows how to get what he wants without forcing anyone to do anything. But then again, pimps say the exact same thing and the last thing this world needs is more pimps or people with a pimp’s mentality. So wash your own damn clothes!

No comments: