Friday, August 11, 2006

Run for Jesus! (Not Christ, but that Mexican dude)

It's summertime so that means that every organization on the planet is having a marathon, triathlon, decathlon, etc. It all started with Race for a Cure. You wore one of those cute pink ribbons in support of finding a cure for breast cancer and you either ran in a 10K marathon or sponsored a more physically fit person to do it for you. A very worthy cause. But then all these other worthy causes like AIDS/HIV, prostate cancer, etc. wanted you to wear ribbons or rubber bracelets and run for them too. Now, it's just getting out of hand.

I was out for lunch today and I walked past a poster that said "Run for Trees! Join the annual tree-atholon. Everyone needs to do their part to save our trees!" I was a staunch environmentalist as a pre-teen so I know how important it is to protect and care for our environment, but I'm still scratching my head as to why anyone would pay money to run for trees. I'm a little afraid that more "worthy causes" will start asking us to run for them.

"Run for Paris Hilton! Help that dumb bitch get a clue!"

"Run for Irritable Bowel Syndrome! Put your money where your bowels are!"

If these marathons continue at the rate they're going, I have no doubt we will see these ridiculous "runs" in the near future. Which has got me to thinking, maybe I need to start my own run...

"Run for 'Coco Stasia'! Help her broke ass get a new job!"

No comments: