Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Old hoes in new clothes

In the September issue of W magazine, there is a feature story called "Cover Girls" that has a spread of some of the original supermodels of the 80s and 90s. I think it's great that they're profiling these women because they were trailblazers in the world of fashion, however, I wish they would have been styled/photographed in a different way. Those chicks are old! I know that nowadays middle-aged women are looking much younger and healthier than generations of women in the past, and many people say "40 is the new 20" and "50 is the new 30." No, it's really not. 40 is the new 40 and 50 is old. So put your clothes back on! If you're 40+ and you think it's perfectly ok to wear as much hair and make-up as a a young co-ed and prance around in outfits that are more appropriate for club hopping twentysomethings, let me assure you that it's not! As much as I loved Cindy Crawford back in 1995, I really have no desire to see her half-naked in 2006. Don't get me wrong, she looks wonderful but the days of wearing dresses and swimsuits that are held together with chains are long gone! I think readers would be much more interested in seeing them photographed in a way that shows how they have grown and matured since their days on the catwalk--not reliving their glory days and trying oh so hard to be hot and sexy. It's the equivalent of The Supremes going on tour with Destiny's Child. A good idea in theory, but somehow it just doesn't work. I'll let you be the judge...


Oldie Brinkley

Christy Oldington

Oldy Crawford


Oldomi Cambell

Too damn old!

5 comments:

Cindylover1969 said...

As much as I loved Cindy Crawford back in 1995, I really have no desire to see her half-naked in 2006.

You haven't seen Cindy's swimwear outings of late (Mexico, St. Tropez), have you? There are indeed women in their 40s who aren't aging well; Cindy Crawford isn't one of them.

Coco Stasia said...

Her body is fab, no denying that and I even said that she looks wonderful. But she is, however, too damn old to be wearing pink/fuschia/purple make-up. It ages her really badly! And once again, the chains are not age appropriate!

Coco Stasia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tater787 said...

OMG! Christie Brinkley's pose is SO ACKWARD! what's going on with that?

And I'm sorry, I can't agree with you about Cindy. She's looking hella fab for her age.

Coco Stasia said...

Her face, her face! That make-up is SO harsh it makes her look even older than she is!